Cardamom (Elettaria Cardamomum (Green), एला in Sanskrit, इलायची in Hindi) (VPK=): Mostly Pacifies Vata & Kapha & Doesn’t Aggravate Pitta (Though Large Cardamom even in little excess could be Pitta Aggravating).
It is Pungent (Katu) and Sweet in taste. ‘Virya’ is Cooling (Sheeta). ‘Vipaka’ is Katu (Pungent). It is Light (Laghu), Drying (Ruksha) and Penetrating (Sukshma).
Bio-Chemically, it consists of Various Essential Oils (High Percentage of Phytochemicals Myrcene & Alpha-Terpineol, which are Anti-Pathogenic, Anti-Septic, Widely used in Aromatherapy…), Natural Fibres, Proteins, Calcium, Traces of Iron and Acetic Acid. Again to Gain all these Benefits, Hand Ground should be used Instead of the one Powdered at High Speed-High temperature (Thus Killing all its Good Nutrients). Easiest Medicinal form would be ‘Hand Ground Cardamom Pods with Ghee (with Hot Water) or with Honey (with Warm Water) depending of Vata-Pitta or Kapha Disorder’.
Medicinally, it is Beneficial for Stimulates Immune System, Nervous System (Stimulates Enzyme Activity which enhances functioning of Neurotransmitters – Go for Silver Coated cardamom Pods!), Circulatory System (Anti-Toxic- Diuretic), Respiratory System (Sore Throat-Expectorant-Relieves Burning Sensation, Hiccups-Cardamom Seeds with Holy Basil Ark & Powdered 1-2 Cloves), Digestive System (Carminative-Relieves Flatulence, Indigestion, Acidity, Relieves Mouth Ulcers…), Metabolic System (Kidney-Liver Health…), Excretory-Reproductory System Health (UTI, Urine retention, Pus in urine, Aphrodisiac), Bone Health (Anti-Spasmodic…), Skin Health (Urticaria…)…
Few Medicinal Benefits:
- Appetite Loss, Indigestion, Vomiting, Distension:
- Add 1/4th teaspoon of Cardamom Powder to a glass of water, and boil for a minute. Add Honey to taste and drink sip by sip,
- Mix 1-3 Pinches of Cardamom Powder to a Pinch or Two of Long Pepper Powder (Pippali Churna) and have it with a cup of warm water,
- Flatulence: Few Powdered Cardamom Pods with a Pinch or Two of Asafoetida,
- Dry Cough:
- Take the peel off the 4-5 of them, roast and then powder them. Add it to a Tsp of Desi Ghee and add Jaggery to taste. Have this twice a day,
- Bad Breath, Mouth Ulcers and Inflammation:
- Prepare a Decoction with 4-6 crushed Cardamom and a pinch of roasted Alum (Phitkari, in Hindi),
- For toothache, simply apply Cardamom Oil on affected parts,
- Chew Few Silver Coated Cardamom each day (One at a Time!),
- Dyspepsia, Chest Congestion, Heartburn, Heart Ache:
- Take Cardamom and Long Pepper Powder in equal quantities (say, 1/4th teaspoon or lesser) and have it with Pure Desi Cow-A2 Ghee (Melted, say, 1 Tsp),
- Emaciated Condition, General Weakness, Convalescence (Recovering from Sickness):
- Take 2-3 crushed Cardamom, 5-7 Peeled Almonds (Immersed Overnight in Water), a Teaspoon of Gur (Jaggery) and 2 Teaspoons of Desi Cow Ghee (Melted on a Heated Metal Spoon). Take this mixture, Empty Stomach in the Morning for a Period of 3 weeks.
Contra-Indications: Ulcers, Conditions of High Pitta, especially for Large Cardamom. Other than this the herb is completely side-effect free though I would advise (Due Sukshma Quality & Heating Vipaka-especially Large cardamom) not to overdo its consumption especially for Pregnant & Breastfeeding Ladies.