Haritaki- हरड़-Terminalia Chebula (Chebulic Myrobalan, Harde, VPK=):
It is one of the constituent of Trifula. It possesses all but 5 Rasas (Tastes) other than saline-salt taste. It is predominantly Astringent. It pacifies all the three Doshas. It is Light & Dry. Virya is ‘Hot’, and ‘Vipaka’ is Sweet’. It nourishes all Body Tissues. It is useful in purifying all Body (Ayurvedic) Channels. May aggravate Pitta if taken in excess. The fruit is harvested from September to October, dried, stored & used all year round. This is one herb, which supposedly doesn’t have any negative effects on body even with prolonged usage (1/2-1 Tsp Max.).
Bio-Chemically: It consists of Useful Bio-Organic Compounds such as Glycosides, Coumarin, Phenolic Compounds, Few Tannins, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid and many more… It Contains Essential Vitamins (Rich Source of Vitamin-C), Minerals (Rich Source of Selenium, Potassium, Manganese, Iron and Copper) & Proteins.
Medicinally: It is Anti-Microbial (Anti-Bacterial [Inhibits E-Coli], Anti-Fungal, G.I.Tract Infections, Anthelmintic-Expels Parasitic Worms, Chronic-Intermittent Fever-Cough), Metabolic-Immune Booster (Highly increases the Bio-Available Oxygen in The Blood-Body, Strengthens all Sense Organs-Nourishes Tissues, Sustainer of Youth, Anaemia, Haemorrhoids, Diabetes-Decreases Insulin Sensitivity-Regulates Blood Sugar Levels, Oedema, Supports healthy Colon Functions, Beneficial in Tumours-Cysts-Fibroids…), & is great for Digestive System (Digestive-Ignites Digestive Fire, Carminative-Laxative, Appetizer, Constipation, Retro-Peristalsis, Diarrhoea, Anorexia, Excessive Mucous Secretion, Nausea-Vomiting), Circulatory System-Bone Health (Cardiac Ailments, Improves Vision, Channel Obstructions, Arthritis), Respiratory System (TB, Bronchial Asthma), Oral Health (Alleviates Hoarse Voice, Anti-Cariogenic-Prevents Tooth Decay, Oral Infections-Decoction Gargling), Skin Health [Alleviates leprosy, Improves Skin Glow…), Excretory-Reproductive System (Impotency, Lassitude in Organs), Neural Disorders (Narcosis-Drowsiness-Unconsciousness, Nervine Tonic-Rejuvenate–Improves Memory), Liver-Kidney Stimulant (Including Spleen Enlargement, Jaundice),
Please note one may experience a “Cleansing Reaction-Such as Diarrhoea!” as the System-Body gets cleared of AMA. Don’t panic but just reduce the dosage or defer taking for some time!
How may we consume Haritaki- हरड़-Terminalia Chebula?
- Haritaki Fruit,
- Haritaki Fruit Powder-Churna (Powder may even be applied straight to wounds-cuts),
- With various delivery agents such as Jaggery, A2 Ghee, Honey, Salt…
- It blends well with various herbs such as Dry Ginger, Long Pepper…
Few Medicinal Benefits:
- Metabolic-Digestive System:
- Obesity (& Liver Stimulant): Decoction of 3-5 whole Haritaki Fruits Twice a Day,
- Constipation: Haritaki Decoction before going to sleep and/or a Tsp Haritaki Powder with Tsp each of Jaggery and A2 Ghee in hot water,
- Anaemia (Extremely Weak-Emaciated People): Add ½ Tsp A2-Desi Cow Ghee to ½ a Glass of water & have ½-1 Tsp of Haritaki Powder with it,
- Hyperuricemia: Tsp of Haritaki Powder with 2 Tsp Jaggery & a Tsp of A2 Ghee (As applicable) and/or ½ Tsp Haritaki Powder with a glass of Butter-Milk every afternoon,
- Ulcers (All especially Mouth): Pound 3-5 Haritaki Fruits (or just take 1 Tsp Powder) & Boil in a glass of water, Rinse your mouth few times a day; and/or Have ½ a Tsp of Haritaki Powder with ½ a glass of warm-hot water Twice a day (May-Should add ½ Tsp A2 Ghee),
- Liver Tonic: A Tsp Haritaki Powder Decoction with a Tsp each of of Trifula Powder & A2 Ghee with a Glass of Hot Water,
- Oral Health:
- Absence of Saliva-Taste on Tongue: Use Haritaki Decoction to Rinse your mouth 2-3 Times a Day, Thereby Drink the Decoction. Drink it up. Rinsing-Gargling is also good for Sore Throat,
- Respiratory System:
- General Respiratory Health: ½ Tsp Haritaki Powder & 2-5 Pinches (As applicable) with a cup of hot water,
- Cough: 1/3rd-1/2 Tsp Haritaki Powder with 2-3 Tsp of Honey Twice a Day,
- Asthma (also Hiccups): Put ½ Tsp Haritaki Powder & 2-5 Pinches of Dry Ginger (Saunth) to half a glass of water & Simmer for few minutes. Have this Once-Twice/Day. For Pitta Vitiated Cases, ½-1 Tsp of A2-Desi Cow Ghee may also be added,
- Skin-Eye-Hair Health:
- Eye Inflammation: Use Haritaki Powder Infusion as an Eye Rinse-Wash,
- Acne: Apply Haritaki Paste on Affected Parts,
- Hair Fall-Loss, Hair Lice, Dry Scalp-Dandruff: Add 5 Whole Haritaki Fruits to a Cup of Coconut Oil, Heat on Mild Fire-Till Fruits Break, Shut off Fire, Let it Cool, Store the Oil. Apply this Oil on Head Twice-Thrice a Week, after say 30-45 minutes wash-shampoo with Non-Chemical Shampoos;
- Unique Hair Pack: “Haritaki Powder (1/2-1 Tsp) + Curry Leaf Powder (1 Tsp) + Indian Gooseberry Powder (Amla) (1 Tsp) + Curd (3-5 Tsp)”. apply on Scalp 30-45 minutes before shower, Twice-Thrice a Week,
- Inflamed-Swollen Joints: Take around 6-8 Litres of warm water in a bucket, add a tablespoon or two of Haritaki Powder & Soak inflamed joints,
- Liver-Kidney-Spleen Stimulant:
- Splenomegaly (Abnormal Spleen Enlargement): ½ Tsp Harad Powder with 2 Tsp Jaggery Twice a day (May have a cup of hot water as required),
- The Wonder Herb Spiritually: Haritaki-Harad is Sarva Roga Nivarana–Cure for all Vitiated Doshas (Physical-Mental-Subtle levels!). Spiritually is is said to have come into existence on earth as “A Drop of Nectar fell from Indra’s (The King of Heaven) Cup”.
This wonder Herb, under various combinations, has Pacifying effect on all three Doshas. Let us see few of the possible combinations, in different seasons of the year:
- Pacifying Vata: Though it Pacifies all Doshas, it is Specifically Good for Vata Doshas If taken with Ghee or Home-Made White Butter,
- Pacifying Pitta: if taken with Coarse Jaggery-Brown Sugar & A2 Ghee-White Butter; and/or Tsp of Powder prepared by taking-grinding Haritaki Powder, Black Resin & Jaggery in equal amounts,
- Pacifying Kapha: when taken with Rock Salt (Sendha Namak in Hindi),
- Springs: Take it with Honey,
- Summers: Taken with Jaggery,
- Rainy: Taken with Rock Salt,
- Autumn: Taken with Rock Candy – Brown Sugar,
- Early Winter: Taken with Dry Ginger (Shunti, Saunth),
- Winter: Taken with Long Pepper.
Contra-Indications: Those Having Indigestion, Those who Consume Excess Dry-Rough-Pungent Food, Emaciated by Over Indulgence, Afflicted with Hunger, Thirst and Heat (or Dryness in Body) should Avoid or Take in Minimal Quantity. To be avoided in Pregnancy. As Potency is quite Hot, to be given in Minimal Quantity to Children (Avoided for infants-kids below 8-10 years). Avoid before-after surgery as it may interfere with Blood Sugar Levels.
Legal disclaimer: The information in this article is not a Medico-Legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Although I do my best to give you accurate and useful information, you should consult an appropriate Medical Professional before Trying out any of the above Information.