Vitamin-C is Most Abundant Water-Soluble Anti-oxidant in the Body (Which Implies Body Doesn’t Store it, It Must be in-taken on daily basis via our Daily Diet, Though Most Other Animals are able to synthesise Vitamin-C in their own body). Vitamin-C acts on Cellular Level, Fights Anti-Oxidants Due Pollutants-Smoking etc. Assists Returning Vitamin-E to its Active-Original Form.
Research Reports on Cancer: Various Reports have Correlated High Vitamin-C Intake to The Low rates of Cancer (Especially of Mouth, Larynx and Oesophagus).
What Vitamin C is: It performs following functions in the Body:
- Growth & Repair of tissues all over The Body,
- Helps making Protein Collagen (The Protein makes our Skin, Cartilages, Tendons, Ligaments, Blood Vessels etc.),
- Helps Healing of Wounds,
- Maintenance of Bones & Teeth,
- Helps Body absorb Iron from Plant Sources (Hmm…& so we add lemon to our Pulses & vegetables!),
- It is an Anti-Oxidant (Along with Vitamin E, Beta-Carotene…) and Blocks Damage caused by Free-Radicals (Ageing Process, Deteriorating Bone Health, Heart Ailments, Various cancers),
- Helps synthesise Neurotransmitters in our Body…
Reasons for Shortage of Vitamin C: Bad Lifestyle & Eating Habits (Heavily white Sugar laden foods-soft drinks…), Extreme Stress-Anxiety in Life, Being awake late night, Smoking lowers amount of Vitamin C in The Body, Side-Effects of many of ‘The Modern Medicines’ (Including Contraceptive Pills, Anti-Inflammatory Medicines, Chronic consumption of Aspirin…).
Vitamin C Deficiency may lead to (Symptoms Include):
- Dry & Splitting hair,
- Gingivitis (Inflammation of Gums – Bleeding Gums),
- Rough, Dry & Scaly Skin,
- Wound Heals a Slow Rate,
- Low Immunity,
- Frequent Cough & Cold & Other Allergies,
- Cardiovascular Disorders (Atherosclerosis),
- Few Cancers (Including Skin Cancer, Cervical Cancer…),
- Breathing Problems (Including vitamin-C),
- Neurological-Mental Disorders (Anxiety-Stroke…)…
Severe Vitamin-C Deficiency causes Scurvy.
There have been studies which link Vitamin C Deficiency with Following Conditions:
- High Blood Pressure (Including Stroke, High Blood Sugar Leading to Diabetes),
- Atherosclerosis (Hardening of Arteries),
- Built-up of Plaque in Blood Vessels – This may lead to Heart Attack & Stroke,
- Gall Bladder Ailments (Including Stones),
- Various Cancers…
Rich Source of Vitamin C:
Plant Sources: Broccoli, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Raw-cooked Leafy green vegetables (Spinach, Turnip Greens…), Potatoes, Corn…
Spices Sources: Red & Green Peppers,
Fruit Sources: Citrus Fruits (Grapes, Oranges, Strawberries), Water-Melon, Papaya, Grapefruit, Musk-Melon, Strawberries, Kiwi, mangoes, Raspberries, Pineapple, Pomegranates, Banana,
My View it is best to Avoid Synthetic Supplements and Only Go in For Organic Sources.
Vitamin C is sensitive to Light, Air & Heat.
Interesting thing I read on Net/Research Reports/Testimonials, use of Vitamin-C (Ascorbic Acid) has been in use since 1930’s for cancer cases, including intravenous usage.
Daily Recommended Values:
Adults: Ranges from 75 to 125 mg/Day.
An interesting fact is that even at high doses (> 2g/Day) it does not seem to cause any serious side-effect on the body and the excess amount is simply excreted out from the body.