What Copper Does? It Alleviates Vata & Kapha (Pacifies Nervous System & Purifies Blood) but May Alleviate Pitta (Though Mildly). Now Copper has shown to be Antagonistic to Silver (Which is just about 1 mg in Human Body) & Selenium. Copper is present in our Body from Birth, but is not synthesised in Our Body. In our Body, ‘Cu’ is mostly stored in Our Bones & Muscles. Performs many important functions in the body:
- Helps Iron Metabolism – Production of RBC’s in the body,
- Nervous System-Immune System,
- Helps form Collagen & Elastin production (Structural Protein of Connective Tissues),
- Acts as an Anti-Oxidant,
- Energy Production in the Body,
- Aids production of Melanin (Skin Pigmentation – Improves Skin Elasticity – Eradicates fine lines/Wrinkles) (Copper Sulphate – Historically used in case of Sores & Skin Diseases),
- Possesses potent Biocidal Properties (High Concentration Copper Solution has been found to be lethal against Hard to Kill Bacteria, Fungi & Viruses) (Biocidal Properties have been observed in all of its Oxidative State => Cu, Cu+ & Cu++) (Interestingly Layer of Cu2O has been found to be as lethal against Micro-organisms as Cu, Cu+ & Cu++).
Other few interesting Medicinal Properties of Various Oxidative States of Copper (used Internally & Externally) (Remember Copper ions are also liberally absorbed by our Skin) are:
- Effective against Haemorrhoids,
- Effective against Tonsillitis,
- Various Eye Ailments,
- General Wound Healing,
- Storing water Dis-infected for long duration.
- Healing Skin Sores,
- Muscle Spasms,
- Renal disorders,
- Circulatory System Disorders,
- Potent Anti-Inflammatory Agent,
- Positive Results in Improving Brain & Liver Functions – Though More research is Required,
- All the three Oxidative States of Copper have also been found to be effective Fungicides,
- Copper salicylate form has been found to be highly anti-viral, anti-inflammatory & anti-epileptic and so on…
Reasons for Shortage of Copper: Unbalanced Diet, High Intake of Zinc or Iron Sources / Supplements, Side-Effects of Medicines-Supplements…
Copper Deficiency may lead to:
- Deteriorating Bone-Skin Health (Loss of Pigment),
- Low Body Temperature,
- Low WBC Health,
- Irregular Heartbeat-Coronary Heart Disease (Accumulation of Bad Cholesterol in the Body),
- Thyroid Problems,
Rich Source of Copper (An Adult Human Body contains app. 1.5-2 mg/Kg Weight of Human Body):
Plant Sources: Whole Grains-Cereals, Wheat Sprouts, Green Leafy Vegetables, Legumes (Lentils, Beans, Peanuts), Nuts (Cashews, Hazelnuts, Almonds, Pistachios…), Tomatoes, Potatoes, Poppy Seeds, Blackstrap Molasses.
Herbs: Black Pepper, Fennel Seeds (सौंफ),
Fruit Sources: Bananas, Grapes, Avocado, Pineapples.
Animal Sources: Oysters, Crab…
Please do bear with me – I am just not inclined to detail non-vegetarian sources!!
Daily Recommended Values:
Adults: 1000 – 5000 mcg/Day or 1 – 5 mg/Day (Non-Toxic even till the consumption of 10 mg/Day).
Excess may produce Subtle Toxic Effects.
A component of Every-One’s First-Aid Kit: Colloidal Copper