Turmeric- हलदी-Curcuma Longa (हरिद्रा) (VPK=; VP+, in Excess):
Parts used is Rhizome and Tubers. It is Bitter, Pungent and Astringent. It is Dry and Light. Virya is Hot, Vipaka is Pungent. This is a Tri-Dosha Nashak (i.e. Balances All Three Doshas) Herb. It is Alkaline (Kshariye).
Bio-Chemically, it consists of many useful Bio-Organic Molecules (Phytonutrients, Useful Volatile Oils such as Curcumin (Member of Group of Compounds–Curcuminoids). It is a good source of Vitamin A, Protein, Fatty Acid, Minerals & Carbohydrates.
Medicinally, it positively affects all Body Tissues. It is Anti-Microbial (Anti-Septic, Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Fungal, Anthelmintic [Excel Intestinal Parasites], Blood Cleanser-Detoxifies Blood, Anti-Cancerous), Anti-Inflammatory (Vulnerary (Wound Healer), Bruises, Sprains [Especially with Honey], Arthritis), & is great for Immune-Metabolic Booster (Anaemia, Diabetes-Lowers Blood Sugar Levels), Digestive System (Best Taken During Meals) (Carminative, Indigestion, Constipation, IBS [Irritable Bowel Syndrome]), Respiratory System (Best Taken Before Meals) (Expectorant, Pharyngitis…), Circulatory System (Cardiovascular Disorders, Atherosclerosis, Lowers bad Blood Cholesterol, Arthritis..), Skin Health (Psoriasis, Eczema…),Excretory-Reproductory System Disorders (UTI’s, Females Hormonal Balance, Uterine Stimulant), Liver-Kidney Stimulant (Best Taken After Meals) (Promotes Bile Secretion, Restores Liver Functions…), Neural-Autoimmune Disorders (Insomnia, Alzheimer’s, MS, Scleroderma, Psoriasis…)…
How may we consume Turmeric- हलदी-Curcuma Longa?
- Turmeric (Dry) Powder: Sprinkle the Powder onto your Cooked Pulses/Vegetables/Soup/Rice (or Even Salads!) and/or as a Paste (along with Sandalwood Powder) and/or You may (should) sprinkle pinches of turmeric along with cooking oil or ghee before you roast your vegetables and/or You may (should) sprinkle this-along with black pepper to your morning empty stomach fruits/fruit juices,
- Decoction (While making Decoction, remember to add Pinches of Black Pepper; as temperature cools down, may add Honey to taste) (or Simply Pinches of Turmeric added to Boiled-Hot Water-Turmeric Water),
- Turmeric Milk: After Dinner-Before going to sleep, add 1-5 Pinches of Turmeric (Mostly Dry Turmeric Root Powder) to a Glass of A2-Desi Cow Milk, Boil for few minutes, take it off the heat, add ½-1 Tsp of A2 ghee. Do remember to add 1-5 Pinches of Hand ground Black Pepper (Increases Bio-Availability of Turmeric-I myself have experienced the increased positive effects on addition of hand ground black pepper). Your Turmeric Milk is ready (You may add ground rock candy or organic sugar to taste)…
Few Medicinal Benefits:
- Anti-Microbial, Wounds-Inflammation:
- Bruises, Sprains, Infected Wounds, Fungal Infections, Athlete’s Foot: Apply Turmeric Powder Paste + Few Drops of Lemon + a Pinch Each of Black Pepper &Rock (Sendha) Salt and/or Apply Paste of Turmeric Powder & Aloe Vera Gel and/or Turmeric Milk,
- Swelling due an Injury: Apply Paste of Turmeric and Water over the swollen area,
- Metabolic-Digestive System:
- Haemorrhoids: Apply Turmeric (with sandalwood powder added) Paste on Protruded Pile Mass and/or Apply Turmeric Paste made with Coconut Oil on Protruded Mass,
- Respiratory System-Oral Health:
- Sore Throat: Add few Pinches of Turmeric Powder & a Pinch or Two of Black Salt to a cup of warm water & do gargles few times a day,
- Tonsillitis: Put 1/4th Tsp Turmeric Powder straight at the root of tongue and let the saliva dissolve it, no water for at least 1 hour after this treatment and/or Turmeric Water and/or Turmeric Milk,
- Liver-Kidney Stimulant: Turmeric Milk with A2-Desi Cow ghee added (After Dinner-Before Sleep),
- Circulatory System-Skin Health: Turmeric Milk with A2 Ghee is applicable in all following cases…
- Rough Skin: Make Turmeric Powder Paste with Mustard Oil & apply it on the skin,
- Dry-Cracked Skin: Prepare turmeric Powder Paste with coconut Oil (May also add drops of fresh lemon juice!), apply it on Dry-Cracked Skin, wash it off with lukewarm water after sometime,
- Dark Circles-Wrinkles-Scars-Ageing Signs: The following Paste may be applied 2-3 Times/Week. 2 Tsp Turmeric Powder + 1 Tsp Honey + 1 Tsp Coconut Oil + 2-3 Tsp Curd. Mix them all up to make a fine paste, apply on face, let it be for 20-30 minutes, clean up using a cotton ball dipped in raw milk, wash it off with lukewarm water,
- Glowing Skin: 1 Tsp Turmeric + 1-2 Tsp Fresh Lemon Juice. Apply it on Face, let it be for 15-20 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water,
- Wound Scars: In coconut oil base, prepare a paste with equal quantities of Turmeric Powder & Gram Flour (Besan), apply it on scarred patches, wash it off with Lukewarm water after 20-30 minutes,
- Burns/Burn Marks: Apply fine paste of Turmeric & Raw Milk & apply on burn areas few times a day,
- Excretory & Reproductory System:
- Macromastia (Abnormally Huge Breasts) (This or other abnormal skin growths in Body): Put 8-10 Neem Leaves & 1/3rd-½ Tsp Turmeric to a glass of water and Simmer-Boil it till water remains half. As the temperature becomes drinkable, add a Tsp or Two of Honey & Drink. Depending on severity, this may be had once-twice a day,
- UTI (Urinary Tract Infection): Put 1/3rd-1/2 Tsp Turmeric + 3/4th Tsp Indian Gooseberry (Amla) to a glass of water & Simmer-Boil it till water remains half. Drink it as the temperature becomes drinkable (May add Tsp or Two of Honey),
- Neural Disorders:
- Migraines-Headaches: Turmeric Milk (+ A2 Ghee) and/or Turmeric Water (+ Honey)…
Contra-Indications: In excess Turmeric Vitiates or May Vitiate Pitta. Best avoided (or taken with extreme caution-minimal amounts such as with A2 Ghee) in cases such as Jaundice, Acute Hepatitis, Haemorrhoids…Along with Pitta, in excess it may also Vitiate Vata & lead to Perspiration, Tremors, Skin Rashes…Insensible excess intake may even lead to severe ulcers or obstruction of bile passages, kidney-gall bladder stones, infertility, severe skin allergies…
Though Turmeric Milk (with A2 Ghee added) would not Vitiate Vata or Pitta.
How much would be sensible intake!? Depending on age, medical condition etc. don’t exceed 1-5 pinches in a single meal preparation (say for 3 people).
Legal disclaimer: The information in this article is not a Medico-Legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Although I do my best to give you accurate and useful information, you should consult an appropriate Medical Professional before Trying out any of the above Information.