Coriander (Coriandrum Sativum, धान्याक, सूखा धनिया (Dried-Powdered Seeds), हरा धनिया (Fresh/Tiny Green Leaves)): (V- P- K-) Coriander-Dhaniya-Dhanyaka is Sweet, Bitter, Pungent & Astringent in taste, Unctuous (Slippery, Alkaline), and Laghu (Light). ‘Virya’ is ‘Cool for Green (Pacifies Pitta)’, and ‘Warm for Dried Powder’. ‘Vipaka’ is Sweet. It is ‘Tridosh Nashak’, and alleviates all the Three Doshas of the Body. Have had very Pungent food, Coriander leaves would do you good. Start using it more often in your meals! The Fresh Leaves & Dried Seeds are the parts that are most beneficial & mostly used. As always, The Whole Seeds or The Hand ground Seeds Powder would be much more Beneficial than The Machine Powdered Seeds. The Plant has been in use for its medicinal & cooking purposes for 1000’s of years but surprisingly (& hurting) it has slowly & steadily been moving out of our kitchens giving way to Carcinogens such as Pizzas & Burgers!!
Bio-Chemically, Coriander-Dhaniya-Dhanyaka (Leaves & Seeds) is a Rich Source of Proteins, Minerals (Ca, P, Fe, K, Mg and Carbohydrates (Talk about consuming Chemical Supplements!), Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, C, K…), Carotene (Pigments-Bio-Chemicals found in Chromoplasts of Plants), Folic Acid (Essential for production of Nucleic Acid), Essential Fatty Acids (Such as Linolenic Acid)… It is also a Rich Source of Phytonutrients, Flavonoids, Phenolic Acid Compounds (Aromatic-Anti-Inflammatory-Pacifies Neural Disorders) and Organic Alcohols. Bio-Chemical ‘Kumin’ present in Coriander Seeds Stimulates Endocrine Glands leading to increased Insulin secretion from Pancreas.
Medicinally, it is Anti-Microbial-Anti-Pathogenic (Anti-Viral-Bacterial-Fungal, Anti-Pyretic, Conjunctivitis, Eliminates Stomach-Intestinal Worms…High Concentration of Dodecenal, a strong Natural Antibiotic), Metabolic Stimulant (Increases Insulin Secretion-Reduces Blood Cholesterol-Sugar, Helpful in Oedema, Anaemia, Liver Disorders…), Stimulates Digestive System (IBS-Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Flatulence, Diarrhoea, Acidity, Indigestion, Carminative), Tones Heart-Circulatory System, Excretory & Reproductive System Disorders (Diuretic, UTI’s, Bladder Inflammation, Cystitis…Pre Menstrual Syndrome, Menstrual Uneasiness-Abdominal Pain, Regulates Hormonal Secretion, Kidney Disorders, Galactagogue…), Bone-Muscle Health (Antispasmodic, Osteoporosis, Anti-Rheumatic and Anti-Arthritic), Skin Health (Consumed Internally & Oil or Decoction applied Externally on the Scalp!!), Neural Disorders (Migraine, Delirium…), Neurodegenerative Disorders (When consumed along with list of other spices such as Clove, Cinnamon, and of course Colloidal Silver; Such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS…). Finally it helps Eliminate Toxic Heavy Metal from the Body & its regular consumption has shown Positive Results against Radiation Damage (& I am talking from the Research Reports!)…
In what all forms Coriander-Dhaniya-Dhanyaka may be used:
- Coriander Decoction: Take a Table-Spoon of Chopped Coriander Leaves; Hand-Crush them up; Add the crushed leaves to say a glass of water; Boil till water becomes 3/4th to ½; Add 1-3 Pinches of Baking Soda (to cater to salty taste!), a Pinch or Two of Black Salt & Fresh Lemon Juice to Taste; Filter the resulting Mixture-Solution (if you wish to); You have your juice-decoction ready;
- Coriander Seeds Infusion: A tsp of Coriander seeds dipped-immersed in a glass of water overnight; Filtered next morning and drunk;
- Hand Ground Seeds may be used as Spices in Meals Preparation;
- Coriander Leaves Paste (Chatney-Lemon, Black Pepper, Black Salt added to Taste);
- Easily available as a Homeopathic Tincture;
- Juice as available in the market, not my favourite due adulteration-added preservatives etc.
Few Medicinal Benefits (Way of consumption slightly altered than the above 6 ways):
- Indigestion (Cramping-Flatulence):
- Simply chew few leaves, or take 1-2 tea spoon of its Juice With/Without Water,
- Take equal quantities of Dried Coriander Seeds, Fennel Seeds & Cumin Seeds. Hand grind and roast them. Take a Tsp of this with a cup of warm water after meals,
- Headache (Caused by Pitta):
- Liberally consume Green Coriander Leaves Paste,
- Have Coriander Tea (Add some Cumin Seeds Powder also),
- Respiratory Disorders:
- Make Decoction of Dry Coriander Seeds + Liquorice + Long Pepper,
- Grind Dry Coriander (Seeds) in Honey in the Ratio 1:2,
- Equal quantities of Coriander Seeds Powder & Vasa Powder (1-5 Pinches) with equal amounts of Honey or Ghee (As Appropriate),
- Pitta Related Cough-Asthma: A Tsp each of Coriander Leaves Paste & Jaggery-Gud added to a Cup of Starch-Rice Water with/Prior Lunch,
- Simply chew small amount of Coriander Seeds,
- Other Pitta Disorders (Fever…): Cold Infusion (Dipped in water overnight) mixed with some honey; and/or a Tsp of Ghee & a Tsp or Two of Coriander Leaves Paste added to a glass of Boiling water,
- Bone Health (Inflammation):
- Vata Raqta (Gout-Hyperuricaemia-Vata obstructed by Vitiated Pitta): A Tsp of Coriander Leaves Paste along with ½-1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds (Preferably Black) cooked-mildly roasted with Jaggery Once-Twice a Day,
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (Amavata-Accumulation of AMA-Toxins in Joints due Vitiation of Vata): Add a Tsp or Two of Coriander Leaves Paste & 1-3 Pinches of Dry Ginger (Saunth-Shunthi) to a Glass of water, Boil till water remains 3/4th, Add few drops of Castor Oil & Have such a Decoction 1-3 Times/Day,
- Gently Massage the Inflamed Joints with Coriander Essential Oil,
- Astringent Tastes in excess have an adverse effect on Libido and hence Coriander, as any other stuff, should be avoided in excess,
- Coriander Essential Oil is a strong medicine and should not be done in excess.
The above (& all in this website) is just my opinion (based on various studies-reports) & I do not assume any responsibility or liability for application of same by your good selves.