This is a Fat-Soluble Vitamin. It is stored in our body and is manufactured by our Skin as it gets exposed to Sunlight. The two forms of Vitamin-D are Ergocalciferol (D2) & Cholecalciferol (D3, This Form is synthesised in the Skin by the action of Ultraviolet Rays).
What Vitamin-D is: It performs following functions in The Body:
- Regulates Mineral Metabolism (~ Mineral balance in the Body) (Cell & Tissue growth),
- Works with Calcium (Helps Body Absorb & Assimilate Calcium) to Build Body Structure-Bones,
- Maintains appropriate levels of Calcium & Phosphorous in Our Blood-Plasma System,
- Provides our Body The Proper Bone Health,
- Regulates our Immune System & Cellular Functions…
Reasons for Shortage of Vitamin-D: Excess use of Sun-Screens (Chemical Laden), Darker Skin Pigmentation, Latitudes Greater than 40 Degrees (N or S), Ageing Process, Winter season are the major causes.
Vitamin-D Deficiency may lead to:
- Osteoporosis-Rickets (Soft-Weak Bones-other Bone Disorders),
- High Blood Pressure,
- Heart Ailments (Vitamin D helps absorption of Calcium => Low Vitamin D = Built up of Calcium in The Arteries (A Part of Plaque),
- Various Cancers (Breast, Colon, Prostate, Skin & Pancreas),
- Auto-immune Disorders and so on…
Rich Source of Vitamin-D: Sunlight is one of The Best Source.
Plant Sources: Dark Greens, Cereals, Flax Oil,
Animal Sources: A-2 Milk, A-2 Ghee, Eggs.
My View it is best to Avoid Synthetic Supplements and Only Go in For Organic Sources.
Daily Recommended Values:
Adults: App 20 Micrograms/Day.