What Zinc Does? Zinc is an essential trace element & is found in every cell of the body. It prevents many minerals getting excess-toxic levels and is antagonistic to minerals such as Calcium, Copper, Iron, Sulphur, Phosphorous, Lead & Cadmium. But also, excess levels of zinc may reduce absorption of these elements. It is primarily associated with metal-proteins (has major role in their production in the body) & Metallo-enzyme systems. It is a component of many important enzymes in the body (has a catalytic role to play in chemical reactions of 100’s of enzymes). An adult human body contains around 3 grams (highest concentrations located in prostate gland & eyes). Zinc is essential for various human processes such as:
- Metabolic & Immune System Health: Helps body metabolise Proteins, carbohydrates & Alcohol, aids wound healing, Helps maintain Blood Sugar-Insulin levels in the body, Involved in Nucleic Acid Synthesis, Anti-Oxidant, Regulates Thyroid Functions, Anti-inflammatory…(Deficiency leads to Immune Deficiency). A study points to Zinc role in normal DNA synthesis. Zinc has a role to play in regulating pH balance of the body,
- Digestive-Gastro-Intestinal System,
- Eye Health,
- Optimum Skin & Hair Health (Deficiency leads to Skin Lesions…),
- Bone Health: Aids bone building,
- Oral Health (Including sense for Taste, Vision, Smell…),
- Reproductive System Health: Zinc has an important role to play n male-female fertility (It is an important constituent of Male-Semen,
- Nervous System-Mental Health: Stress depletes Zinc & magnesium in the body (More of Sodium increases them!). Zinc has a role to play in Cognitive functions & deficiency may lead to Stunted Growth…
- May help fight Wilson’s Disease, as it is antagonistic to Copper.
Ayurvedically, Zinc Citrate is Bitter & Astringent in Taste. Potency (Virya) is Cooling. It may be indicated for Pitta-Kapha Disorders.
Reasons for Shortage of Zinc: Anorexia, Alcoholics, Smokers, Un-balanced diet, Side Effects of Medicines (Such as Oral-contraceptives), Chronic Abdominal Disorders.
Chlorophyll is required for Zinc Metabolism and Cauliflower is a rich source for Chlorophyll.
Zinc Deficiency may lead to:
- Reduced amount of Vitamin-A release from the Liver (Night Blindness),
- Loss of Appetite-Poor-Retarded Growth,
- Lack of taste-Smell-Vision,
- Skin Disorders (Extremely Dry-Itchy Skin-White Spots on Nails),
- Severe Deficiency leads to Macular Degeneration,
- Depression-Other Mental Disorders…
Rich Source of Zinc: Best absorbed through a protein Diet. Only around 1/3rd of the Zinc present in the body is absorbed by our Body. It is lost through our Sweat.
Plant Sources: Legumes (Beans-Including Green Beans, Peas, Peanuts), Whole grains, Tofu, Cooked Green vegetables (Along with Leaves), Mushrooms, Pumpkin (Especially seeds, कद्दू के बीज), Corn, Black Sesame Seeds-Oil, Wheat Germ, Hemp Seeds,
Herbs & Spices: Fennel Seeds (सौंफ),
Fruit Sources: Watermelon Seeds,
Animal Sources: Oysters, Shrimp, Crabs, Poultry, Milk, Cheese,
Thanks to A1 Breed Cows & Chemicals based agriculture, deficiency of Zinc is becoming rampant. Zinc deficiency is more prevalent in Vegetarians! Zinc Acetate or Zinc Citrate are generally better bio-available than other Zinc Salts & are best absorbed in The Body.
Daily Recommended Values:
Adults: 8 – 15 mg/Day.
SH70 Recipe: 2-3 Tsp. Honey + 1 finely Cut Garlic + 1 Tsp. fresh Lemon Juice + 2-3 Pinches Black Pepper + 2 Drops DMSO + 1/3rd Pinch zinc Citrate……
- As Zinc reduces amount of Copper our body may absorb, High Zn Doses lead to Copper deficiency,
- Zinc and Iron or Calcium Supplements not to be taken together,
- Toxicity may result due over dosage of Zinc Supplements (& Symptoms such as Pancreatitis, gastric Ulcer, Pulmonary Fibrosis, Anaemia and so on…),
- Kids below 12 Years, People with any Medical Conditions & Pregnant Ladies are best advised to stay away from SH70 Zinc Citrate Zinc Supplement or are best to consult their Family Doctor/Nutritionist/Dietician before consuming “Zinc Citrate”.
Did you know that ACE Inhibitors (Angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor (The High Blood Pressure medicines) lead to Lower levels of Zinc in The Body!!