What Iodine Does? Iodine, a Non-Metallic Trace element, is mostly found in our Thyroid Glands (Along with Blood, Muscles & Ovaries). Required for-Does Following:
- Production (Synthesis) of Thyroid Hormones (T3 & T4) (Necessary for Normal Body Growth, Optimally Functional Nervous System & Body Metabolism),
- T3, a Physiologically Active Thyroid Hormone, binds to Specific Receptors in Cell’s Nuclei & Regulates Gene Expression, and hence plays an important role in proper functioning of Reproductory organs of The Body.
Also, Iodine is frequently used for Dis-infecting Wound. We would see various Medicinal-Non-Medicinal uses of Iodine further down the Post.
Reasons for Shortage of Iodine: Un-Balanced Diet, Side Effects of Medicinal Drugs, Smoking (Goitrogens), Excess soya-bean Intake (Goitrogens), Drinking water not being disinfected with Iodine anymore, Bromine instead of Iodine being used in Bakery preparations… Research done on 1000’s of people almost always found them to have excess levels of bromine [Toxic!] in their Blood. Bromine easily binds to Iodine Receptors & hence excess of bromine easily brings about Iodine deficiency in the body. Various sources with which Bromine enters body is Soft Drinks, Furniture Coatings, Bakery, Anti-Microbial agents used in Swimming Pools and so on. The entry of Toxic Chlorine to the body may be avoided by not disinfecting water with Chlorine Tablets but by agents such as Hydrogen Peroxide or simply by SH70 Lugol’s Iodine.
How to check if we are Iodine deficient: Put a drop of Lugol’s Iodine on the back of your hand and spread it evenly in the form of a circle. If the stain disappears in 3-4 hours, you are Iodine deficient.
Medicinal & other benefits of Iodine: Iodine is highly required and beneficial for many human processes such as:
- Anti-Microbial: Be it Viral or Bacterial or Fungal… deficiency may even lead to Cancers (Cystic Tissues), autoimmune disorders such as Multiple Sclerosis…
- General Metabolic System/Immune System: Haemorrhoids/Fistula, Cysts, Obesity… Essential for WBC Metabolism, Aids Apoptotic Process, Salivary Glands processes. As per Dr. Brownstein, Iodine is an alkaliser and raises blood pH,
- Regular intake of Iodine helps clear Metal & other toxicity from the system (be it heavy metals such as Aluminium, Mercury, cadmium… and Halogens such as Fluorides and Bromides…),
- Regulates Hormonal System of the body: Especially Lugol’s Iodine supposedly works great for Hypothyroidism; Deficiency of Iodine leads to Hypothyroidism-Goitre [Symptoms such as Fatigue, Weight gain, Dry Skin, Sensitivity to heat; Supposedly Deficiency of Selenium too leads to Hypothyroidism-Go Liberal on Brazil Nuts! Remember, excess Goitre could even obstruct Trachea-Oesophagus & consequently damage Laryngeal Nerves], Vaginitis,
- Circulatory System: Aids RBC Metabolism, Atherosclerosis, Stabilises Heart Rhythm, Blood Pressure-Blood Cholesterol,
- Respiratory System-Oral Health: Sinusitis, Emphysema, Lung Cancer, Asthma, TB, Oral Inflammation,
- Skin Health: Toe-Fingernail Fungal Infections,
- Genito-Urinary-Reproductory System: Bladder Health, General health of Excretory / Reproductory Organs, Prostate, Pregnancy…; Deficiency could lead to Infertility, Miscarriages-Congenital Abnormalities, Foetal Hypothyroidism, Neurological impairment of offspring, Fibrocystic Breast… Actually whole lot of women processes require Iodine,
- Nervous System-Mental Strength: Mental Strength, IQ…; Deficiency could lead to Cretinism-Severe Physical-Mental Retardation, Parkinson’s Disease, Chronic Brain Damage and so on…,
- Disinfection of Water: Add few drops of Lugol’s Iodine to the potable water storage (RO Container,
Rich Source of Iodine: Conflicting results from different studies, but mostly, it is approximately the total Iodine Content in Young Healthy Males is about 30-50 mg. The highest concentration of Iodine in the body is in Thyroid Glands, Reproductive Organs (Breasts-Breast Milk, Ovaries, Testicles…). Otherwise, Iodine is found in every cell of the body.
Plant Sources: Rock Salt, Garlic, Sesame Seeds, Radish, Onion, Spinach, Turnip Greens, Lima Beans, Tomatoes, Carrot, Kelp, Baked Potato (With Peel), A Seaweed (A Very High Source), Hemp Seeds…
Fruit Sources: Pineapple, Cranberries, Strawberries, Apples, Peas, Banana…
Animal Sources: A-2 Milk (High Source), Cheese, Yoghurt-Butter-Milk, Seafood, Shellfish, Kelp, Deep-Water Fish, Eggs, Cheese…
Iodine Deficiency coupled by deficiency of Selenium, Iron & Vitamin-A, all at the same time have been found to aggravate the Iodine Deficiency Disorders, and hence optimal intake of the Minerals mentioned, along with Iodine is very important.
Various creative ways in which we may use SH70 Lugol’s Iodine:
- 1-2 Drops of 5% Lugol’s Iodine in a glass of water (Please don’t use a metal glass) once-twice a day,
- Apply Topically (Such as on Keloids or even for Abhyanga-full body massage): 1-2 Drops + a Tsp. of Coconut Oil + a drop or two of MSM,
- Drops added to Nebuliser,
Daily Recommended Values:
Having gone through numerous worldwide nutrition standards (such as French, German, Russian, Europe, Dr. Brownstein, Dr. Guy Abraham…..) I have come to my own Daily Recommended Value of 10-15 mg/Day. Consumption of Iodine to anything up-to 50 mg/d starts getting toxic & as the consumption reaches up-to a gram/day, it may even get fatal. A very general consumption per day, as worked out by self is 0.15 mg/Kg [of body weight]/day. A good vitamin diet (especially B-Complex & C) is utmost essential.
- Excess Iodine levels could also lead to Goitre,
- I131 is radioactive and its accumulation in thyroid glands is Carcinogenic (Thyroid Cancer),
- Excess Iodine results in Hyperthyroidism (Multi-Nodular Goitre).