Mint-Menthol- पुदीना-Mentha Arvensis (V- P+ K-):
It is Bitter & Pungent, Dry and Light. ‘Virya’ is Heating. ‘Vipaka’ is Pungent. It Pacifies Vata & Kapha & in excess may Vitiate Pitta.
Bio-Chemically, it consists of plenty of Bio-Organic Oils (Such as Menthol which is Anti-Microbial & Immune-Metabolism Booster & Rejuvenate; Rosmarinic Acid [Bile Secretion into The Digestive Tract]; Salicylic Acid [Anti-Microbial], Flavonoids [Such as Glycosides and Catechins which are Anti-Microbial]…), Proteins, Minerals like Calcium, Phosphorous, Iron, Vitamins C, D, E, B-Complex, High Fibrous Content and many other things.
Medicinally, it is Anti-Microbial-Immune-Metabolic Booster (Anti-Allergic, Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Fungal, Blood Cleanser, Anti-Pyretic, Anti-Cancerous [Due Specific Phytochemicals], Wound Healing, Optimises Blood-Glucose Levels), and is great for Digestive System (Abdominal Pain, Carminative, Nausea, Indigestion, Bloating, Flatulence, Diarrhoea, Colic Pain…), Respiratory System (Expectorant-Decongestant), Bone Health (Anti-Inflammatory, Joints-Muscle Pain), Excretory-Reproductive System (Diuretic, Dysmenorrhoea [Painful Menstruation]…) Skin Health (Itching, Rashes, Eczema), due Various Reasons), Neural Health (Relieves Stress, Tension, Insomnia…), Also Beneficial in Cases of Side-Effects-Inconveniences Caused due Consumption of Incompatible Foods-Virudh Aahar…
How may we consume Mint-Menthol- पुदीना-Mentha Arvensis?
- Mint Leaves (Just Crushed-As a Paste-or Extract),
- Pudina Juice (Blend Pint & Coriander Leaves; Freshly Cut Lemon Juice, Few Pinches of Black Pepper & Pinch or Two of Black Salt),
- Peppermint Leaves Tea,
- Peppermint Oil (Anti-Microbial, Anti-Inflammatory, Rejuvenate),
- Pudina Ark,
- As a Component of “SH70 Detoxifying Drink” (Recipe: Add 10-15 Mint Leaves, a Pinch or Two each of Black Salt & Cinnamon to a Glass of Water & Simmer it for few minutes; Add a Peeled & Blend Cucumber to above; Add some Fresh Grated Ginger, ½ Tsp of Black Seeds (Kalaunji) & 1-3 Tsp Lemon Juice; As Temperature becomes Drinkable add Honey to Taste; The SH70 Detoxifying Drink is Ready),
- It is thus a good habit to Sprinkle Mint (& Coriander) leaves into your Pulses (Daal), Vegetables, Salads & so on…
Few Medicinal Benefits:
- Metabolic, Digestive System & Oral Health:
- Indigestion, Nausea: Add a Pinch or Two of Black Salt & few Drops of ‘Pudina Hara’ to ½ – 1 Glass of Lukewarm water & Have it 3-4 Hrs Thrice a day,
- Intestinal Worms: A Tsp or Two of Fresh Mint Leaves Paste with First Bite of Lunch Daily,
- Abdominal Spasms: Add 2 Tsp each of ‘Sat Pudina’ & ‘Sat Ajwain’ to 200 mL of Lukewarm Water, and keep it in Sun for Few Hours (Stir Frequently). Drops of this applied onto Naval or Tsp or Two taken internally works as a good Anti-Spasmodic,
- Hyper-Acidity-GERD: ½ Cup Mint Leaves Tea before Meals and/or Chew few Mint Leaves after Meals and/or Put Few Leaves each of Alfalfa and Mint to ½ a Glass of Water, Simmer-Boil it for Few Minutes, Drink as Tea After Meals,
- Bad Breath (or Gum Inflammation): Chew few Mint Leaves and/or Add few drops of Fresh Mint Leaves Juice to a Cup of warm water and do Gargling,
- Toothache: Put Drops of Peppermint Oil on Cotton Swab/Ball & Apply on affected areas,
- Obesity: Liberally add Mint Leaves Paste to your afternoon glass of Butter-Milk,
- Respiratory System:
- Cough & Cold, Nasal Congestion: Add Mint Leaves (or Peppermint Oil) to your Inhaler-Vaporiser,
- Tonsillitis: Put 15-20 Mint Leaves to half a Glass of Water, Simmer-Boil till Water Remains 3/4th–½; As Temperature Becomes Drinkable, add Tsp or two of Honey & Have it Twice-Thrice a Day,
- Skin Health:
- Urticarial (Red/Itchy Patches on Skin, Skin Bumps): Mix, Crush & Make a Fine Paste of “Few Leaves of Mint (Pudina)”, “Few Black Pepper Balls” & “1/2 Tsp of Carom Seeds (Ajwain)”, and have them with ½ a glass 0f Lukewarm Water,
- Skin Toner (Acne-Blackheads-Dark Circles): Make Mint Leaves Paste, apply it on Face, let it dry & wash it off with warm water. As Mint adds to Pitta, this should not be done more than Twice-Thrice a Week; and/or Make a fine paste with 1/3rd Cup of Mint Leaves & a Tsp or Two of fresh Lemon Juice, and apply it on Dark Circles around The Eyes. Let it dry & wash it off with Lukewarm Water, and/or (especially for acne) Face Pack made of crushed Mint Leaves & Rose Water (Especially good for Oily Skin), and/or (Another Face-Pack for Pimples-Acne) ½ Tsp Mint Leaves Juice to a Tsp Each of Multani Mitti (Fuller’s Earth) & Tomato Juice, Wash after some tie with warm water, apply some coconut (or A2 Ghee) oil on skin as Multani Mitti has a drying action,
- Skin Wrinkles: Make a fine paste of a 1-2 Tsp of Mint Leaves Juice, 1-2 Tsp Rose Water and Half Grated cucumber. Use Cotton Cloth to apply it on Wrinkled areas/face. Let it dry and then wash it off lukewarm water,
- Foul Body Odour: Add Mint Leaves (or Juice) and/or Rose Water to your bathing Water,
- Leucoderma: Mix ½ a cup, each of, Neem and Mint Leaves & 1/3rd cup of Aloe Vera Gel. Apply it on affected areas Twice a day & wash off after some time (or as it Dries) and/or Daily Morning Fine Grate Two Pieces of Garlic, 10-15 Peppermint Leaves and add them to a glass of boiling Water; As the Temperature becomes Drinkable, Drink it like Tea,
- Bone Health:
- Joint Pains-Arthritis, Muscle Cramps: Mint Leaves Decoction Once-Twice a day and/or Apply Fresh Mint Leaves Paste on Painful Joints,
- Neural Disorders:
- Stress–Feeling Low: Ayurvedic (Nasal) Smoking with Mint Leaves (Specific Neurotransmitters get released when Leaves are Heated/Burnt); and/or Add Mint Leaves (or Juice) and/or Rose Water to your bathing Water,
- Headaches (Migraines): Apply drops of Peppermint Oil to Forehead & Gently Massage.
- Excretory & Reproductory System:
- Morning Sickness–Nausea (Pregnancy): Daily Morning Chew few Mint Leaves and/or Breathe in Fragrance of Fresh Mint Leaves daily,
- Menstrual Cramps (Dysmenorrhoea): Mint Leaves Decoction Once-Twice a day and/or Cold Infusion Twice/day and/or Apply Fresh Mint Leaves Paste on Vaginal Area,
Contra-Indications: Mint-Menthol- पुदीना is better avoided in Pitta Ailments (Such as GERD, Ulcers, Haemorrhoids…), Including Liver Ailments and Bladder-Kidney stones. The Pitta Vitiation Due Mint Leaves may cause Skin Rashes, Mouth Ulcers, Heartburn, Lower Body Sugar Levels and so on… Also, caution is advised for Pregnant & Lactating ladies.
Legal disclaimer: The information in this article is not a Medico-Legal advice. Use it at your own risk. Although I do my best to give you accurate and useful information, you should consult an appropriate Medical Professional before Trying out any of the above Information.