What Potassium Does? It is a Primary Intra-cellular Cation. It is present Manifold in Intra-cellular Fluids as Compared to Extracellular Fluids (30 Times!). As it is a component of Cell-Body Fluids, it helps control Heart Rate & Blood Pressure. It is an essential Nutrient & is present in all Plant & Animal Tissues! It is essential for:
- Proper functioning of Cells, Tissues & Other Body Organs,
- It is a Body Electrolyte (Along with Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Chloride & Few More),
- Heart-Circulatory Functions,
- Skeletal System (Bone Health) & Smooth Muscle Contraction (Digestive & Muscular Contraction),
- Good functioning of Nervous (Neurological) System,
- Proper functioning of our Abdominal-Digestive System.
Excess in the body leads to Hyper-Kalaemia (Usually Due Non-Optimum Function of Kidneys), & Scarcity leads to Hypo-Kalaemia.
Optimum Potassium balance in The Body Depends on ‘The amount of Sodium & Magnesium’ in The Body. Too Much Sodium Intake (Salt-Baking Soda…) reduces assimilation of Potassium in The Body, intake for which then needs to be increased.
Reasons for Shortage of Potassium: Bad-Un-Balanced Diet, Mal-Nutrition, Excess Sweating, Diarrhoea, Vomiting, Crohn Disease (IBD), and as always ‘Side-Effects of Modern Medicines’.
Potassium Deficiency may lead to:
- Fatigue-Lack of Energy,
- Neurological Mal-Function (Brain Stroke),
- Muscle Cramps – Bad Bone Health (Osteoporosis),
- Abdominal-Stomach Disturbances – High Acidity – Stones Formation,
- Irregular Heart Functions,
- High Blood Pressure.
Rich Source of Potassium:
Plant Sources: Cantaloupe, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Cauliflower, Corn,
Herbs & Spices: Fennel Seeds (सौंफ), Chillies,
Fruit Sources: Banana, Citrus Fruits (Orange, Strawberries), Pineapples, Avocado, Water Melon, Figs (Anjira), Peaches (आडू), Cantaloupes
Animal Sources: Dairy Products,
My View it is best to Avoid Synthetic Supplements and Only Go in For Organic Sources.
Daily Recommended Values:
Adults: 2.5 – 5 Grams/Day (2000-5000 mg/Day).